Monday, June 8, 2009

Cowboy Cookies - The Amspacher Way

This is one of my favorite things in the whole entire world, and the recipe I probably use most often. My family's famous cowboy cookies. Well, at least they're famous for us. We LOVE them.

1 cup butter (softened, just like when you make chocolate chip cookies!)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup Rice Krispies
1 cup Quaker Oats
1 cup Coconut (flakes -- find them in the baking aisle)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cream butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a separate bowl.
Then, slowly add to the creamed mixture, while mixing.
Add Rice Krispies, Quaker Oats, and Coconut one at a time, mixing after each addition.
Bake these delicious suckers for 7-9 minutes in your preheated oven. I like to leave them a little gooey. and I like to make them pretty large in size. Then you can say you only had 2 cookies, when really, those 2 cookies probably equaled 5 normal cookies. But whatever. Seriously, though, watch these little devils, because they burn pretty darn easily. And they are no good burnt. Actually... some people like them better burnt -- apparently it makes them taste like popcorn. (freaks.)


My review: I am completely partial to this recipe, so this review isn't fair. These cookies are splendidly delicious. I make them all the time. They are a family heirloom. Seriously, I hope you love them. And if you think you don't like coconut, this might change your mind. It sure changed mine. And if you must, you could always leave it out. Or replace it with some white chocolate chips, if you're feeling really cheeky.