(adapted from recipe at SkinnyTaste)
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 15 baby carrots, diced small
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp parsley flakes
- 3/4 cup half & half
- In a large frying pan, cook the bacon on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the onion, celery, carrots, and mushrooms, and cook for another 5 minutes on low.
- Add the ground beef and garlic, and turn the heat up to medium high and cook until browned.
- Drain the grease off, and add in the wine. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add to crock pot. Add tomatoes, italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- (If preparing the night before, cover and put in the refrigerator)
- Cover and set slow cooker to low for 8 -10 hours.
- Adjustsalt and pepper to taste,add parsley and half and half.
- Serve over your favorite pasta.
My review: This was delicious and made a TON! I ended up making a lasagna with the leftover sauce - which makes about 4 meals for John and I. You could make this and freeze into 2-4 meals for your family. We both really loved the flavor of the sauce, and it's a nice, hearty, healthy meal, with lots of vegetables.