Friday, September 25, 2009

Baked Chicken Pot Pie


1 (10 oz.) package of frozen peas and carrots
1/3 cup butter (6 1/2 tbsp)
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 tsp pepper
1 3/4 cup (1 can) chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 - 3 cups chicken, cooked and chopped OR 1 large can chicken, drained (you can also substitute Tuna)
1 box Pillsbury (or store brand) pie crust, for 9 inch, 2 crust pie

Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a 2-3 quart saucepan over medium heat.
Stir in flour, onion, salt, and pepper.
Stir constantly until mixture is bubbly, and remove from heat.
Stir in chicken broth and milk.
Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.  Boil for one minute, while stirring.
Stir in chicken and peas and carrots.  Remove from heat.
Roll out one pie crust, and fit into the bottom of an 8x8 square baking dish.  Make sure it goes up the sides.
Pour chicken mixture into crust.
On the other crust, make a few cutouts, or at least one in the middle.  It's fun to use a small cookie cutter for this.
Place the crust over top of the chicken mixture, and fold the sides in, pressing them to seal with the bottom crust.  Use the cutouts to decorate on top of the pastry.  (Or if you're gross, and like to eat dough like me... eat it!  I won't tell...)  Make sure to press all your edges together into the pan.
Bake for 35 minutes, until golden brown.


My review:  This was my first ever attempt at making baked chicken pot pie.  I've always liked the frozen ones, but wanted to try it myself.  And this was delicious.  It needs a lot of salt and pepper, but I like to do that myself after cooking.  This was a really quick meal to prepare, too.  I can't wait to have it on a cold day, because it's comfort food at its finest!