Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tomato Spinach Tortellini Soup

Who's a huge slacker??  This girl.  I've been up to my ears in my last 2 grad classes, wedding planning, house hunting, cleaning, and working that I haven't had much time to cook, much less be able to post recipes.  Thanks to an anonymous comment begging me to come back, I'm back!  I'm not promising crazy amounts of posts, but I'm hoping one new recipe a week.  So... here comes the first recipe!


adapted from the Well Fed Newlyweds recipe found here: Tortellini Soup.  Check out their blog for more delicious and wonderful recipes!


1 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, minced
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 quart vegetable broth (you can also use chicken broth)
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes (or canned whole tomatoes)
Salt
Pepper
2 (9oz) packages frozen tortellini, cooked according to the package
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
Parmesan Cheese and Mozzarella Cheese, for garnish
1/2 pound ground Italian sausage, cooked and drained (optional)


Heat olive oil on medium heat in a large soup pot.  When heated up, add the garlic and onion, and saute until the onions are soft.
Add the broth, oregano, and tomatoes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  If you plan to add sausage, add it at this time.
Bring the soup to a boil.  (You can be cooking your tortellini separately at this time)
Once the soup is boiling, stir in the spinach and cook for 1 minute.
Add the tortellini, and remove soup from the heat.
Serve immediately with cheese to garnish.
With garlic bread, this makes a great dinner!

My review:  This was delicious.  I'm not a huge fan of cooked spinach, so I wish I would have chopped my spinach up smaller, but other than that, it was delicious!  I like it best with vegetable broth, and no italian sausage, but if I'm making it as a meal, I like to have the meat in there for some extra protein and flavor.