Friday, May 29, 2009

Asparagus all year long...

I was always really iffy about frozen asparagus. How could it ever compare?

Winter does some crazy things to people though, and I got hungry for asparagus.

So I bought a bag of the frozen stuff two winters ago, and was taught the best way to make it ever from a friend's boyfriend. So here goes, folks.



1 bag frozen asparagus
Water
Butter or Olive Oil
Garlic
Salt
Pepper

Take your bag of frozen asparagus out of the freezer.
Snip a corner off the bag and pour in some hot water (not boiling, just hot)
Let it sit in the sink to thaw and leak and do its thing.
Pour most of the water out, but leave a bit in.
Then, dump the asparagus and water into a skillet. I like to use a pretty small one so its full and takes a bit longer to cook, cuz you're going to want it to have time to soak in the flavor.
Add some butter (like 2-3 tbsp) or Olive Oil, minced garlic (to your liking, I use a lot), salt, and pepper.
Now cook it. On medium heat. It's best when covered by some aluminum foil with a hole cut in the middle so it can breathe.
It won't take long to cook. 10 minutes tops. But you have my permission to taste test. As often as you like. And you'll like.


My review: Yum yum yum. I want some now. If you don't like garlic, don't rule this out. Use some season salt instead. It's still good. And if you don't have fresh garlic, use garlic salt, and just don't put regular salt in. But you'll like it. Honest.