Friday, May 29, 2009

Jell-O Poke Cake

I just have to start this post by saying this is my favorite favorite dessert ever. Ever. When I get married, I want Jell-O Poke Cake. Screw all that fancy schmancy fondant, give me a good ol' Jell-O Poke Cake slathered in some Cool Whip.

1 (2 layer size) package of White Cake Mix, made as directed (you'll need egg whites, vegetable oil, and water)
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1 container Cool Whip
1 (4 serving) package of Jell-O (any flavor) (I prefer strawberry or cherry, but GO CRAZY)

(if you're worried about calories and all that jazz, use reduced fat cool whip and sugar free jello - it will still rock your socks)

Bake the cake as directed, in a 13x9 cake pan.
Let the cake cool for 15 minutes after baking (at least)
Pierce the cake with a large fork (1/2 inch intervals work best, I think. but sometimes I just go crazy and poke the crap out of it.)
Stir the cup of boiling water into the gelatin for two minutes.
Add the cold water.
Pour the Jell-O over the cake. (carefully)
Refrigerate the cake for at least 3 hours.
Frost the cake with Cool Whip. The whole tub. I'm not kidding. And be careful, because the top of the cake is very moist and can peel up into your frosting. And that looks ugly. But it still tastes good. So no bigs.
Then, refrigerate your cake for another hour before serving, just so the cool whip gets all happy. And then eat it.
Store all leftovers in the refrigerator. But let's face it, there shouldn't be many leftovers.

You can also do this as cupcakes, making them as directed on the box. Then, use the handle of a wooden spoon and poke a hole in the middle of each cupcake. Pour Jell-O on each one, refrigerate, frost, and refrigerate. Kids love them. And so do adults.


My review: I've made it clear that I love this. I just do. I made it last week for Memorial Day, and my grandpa, who is in his 70's and has eaten a lot of cake in his time, said it's the best cake he's ever tasted. Ever. 70 years is a long time to not taste the best cake in the universe. So you should make this today. Seriously. Save your family and friends from the agony of never having the best cake ever.