Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits



1 pound sausage (pork sausage, turkey sausage, chicken sausage, whatever)
1/2 onion, finely chopped
6 tbsp all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
1/2 tsp season salt
1/4 tsp salt
Squirt of Worcestshire sauce
Squirt of Tabasco
Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
1 tube of Grands! Biscuits

Cook the sausage and onion until browned in a deep skillet.  Drain all drippings, except for a small amount (about 2-3 tbsp).  If you used chicken or turkey sausage, you may not have enough drippings, and will have to add a few tablespoons of butter.
Stir in the flour, and cook the mixture over low heat, stirring, until the mixture is bubbly and golden.
Stir in the milk and seasonings.  Cook on medium heat until thickened.
Serve with biscuits, cutting them in half, and topping with the sausage gravy.  If having this for dinner, I suggest peas to go with it.  It's weird, but believe me.

My review:  This is good comfort food.  My uncle makes the best I've ever had, but I like using this recipe when I make it.  The tabasco gives it just enough heat to make it interesting.