Thursday, November 4, 2010

Crustless Mushroom and Feta Quiche

I'm baaaaaaaack!  I apologize that I've been hiding behind loads of wedding planning, school, work, and LIFE, but I'm hoping to be back in action!


When I made this recipe, I cut it, and only made a 3rd, which filled my two small casseroles you see in the picture.  I'm going to give you the recipe sized for a 9x13 pan, so you can make it for a brunch or for more than 2 people, like I was.


18 eggs (yes, 18  -- they're good for you!  and this is serving lots of people!)
4 tbsp milk, cream, or half and half
1 pound mushrooms, washed and sliced
1 small onion, diced
Olive oil
1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese (use the reduced fat -- I think it has a better flavor!)
2 tsp Lawry's season salt
Pepper (fresh ground or the powdery stuff)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. 
Spray a glass or pottery 9x13 dish with nonstick spray.  (Don't use a metal dish -- gives the eggs a funny taste!)
Heat some olive oil in a saute pan.
Once heated, add the mushrooms and onions, and saute them for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are brown and the onions are soft.  Drain any liquid off the vegetables when finished cooking.
Spread your mushroom mixture over the bottom of the pan.  Cover with the crumbled feta cheese.
Beat the eggs in a large bowl with your milk (cream or half and half), season salt and pepper.
Pour over the mushroom mixture in your dish, and then stir if necessary to make sure the mushrooms and cheese are distributed evenly and deliciously. :)
Bake for 45 minutes.  Make sure the eggs are set, and the top will be starting to brown.
If you like, top with a little extra cheese on top -- I used just a small sprinkle of mozzarella.

My review:  Yummy!  What a delicious easy recipe that was fun to make, and delectable to eat!  I made this for a friend and I for dinner, and we both agreed that it was very good.  You could add more vegetables, too, if you like.  I think it would be good with some broccoli or zucchini.