Thursday, October 29, 2009

French Onion Soup



I love French Onion Soup.  When I went to Paris in January, the first thing I wanted to try was real, authentic french onion soup, la soupe de l'oignon gratinée.  Unfortunately, it was the worst french onion soup I've ever had.  For some reason, I don't like it when there's wine included in the mix.  Maybe someday I will try making it with the wine, but until then, there's always Campbell's... or this recipe.  :-)

4 Large Onions, thin sliced
3 cloves Garlic, fine chopped
2 sprigs Fresh Thyme, minced
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Flour
2 quarts (8 cups) Beef Broth
Mozzerella, Swiss, or Gruyère Cheese (shredded or sliced)
Toasted Baguette Slices or Croutons

 

Melt the butter on medium heat in a large pot. Add onions, garlic and thyme, and stir.
Cook for 20 minutes or until the onions and garlic are nice and caramelized.  If necessary, add a bit more butter, you don't want the onions to burn, you want them to be nice and brown and gorgeous.
Sprinkle the flour over the onions and cook for 5 minutes until thickened.
Pour in the beef broth and simmer for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Ladle the deliciousness into a bowl, and top with toasted baguette slices or croutons, and lots and lots of cheese!  I like to slice up a baguette, drizzle a cookie sheet with olive oil, place the slices on top, and drizzle with more olive oil.  Then, I sprinkle some garlic salt and fresh ground pepper over the top, and place under the broiler on low for 5 minutes.  Watch them closely, they burn easy!
If you want to take this soup to a party, it is easily doubled, and can be thrown into a crock pot!

My review:  This was so easy to make, and delicious!  I only wish that I had an oven safe bowl, because I would have thrown that sucker under the broiler and made it all browned and gooey, but unfortunately, I've only got my Corelle dishes.  So, anyone out there who loves me, and wants to buy me an oven safe bowl, please put that on my Christmas wish list.  And make this soup, cuz you'll love it!