Monday, June 22, 2009

Red Velvet Gobs or Red Velvet Whoopie Pies or Red Velvet Sandwich Cakes

I apologize for the multiple names, but I've recently discovered that these are not called Whoopie Pies everywhere. Some people call them "Gobs". Others call them "sandwich cakes". But I have grown up knowing them as whoopie pies, which is apparently what Amish people call them, which makes sense, because I grew up buying them at Root's Farmer's Market, in Lancaster County, where millions of tourists flock to see Amish people. I'm just going to mention that I've always found this silly, because I also grew up seeing the Amish going to church in their horse and buggies, and never thought twice about it. and certainly, never ever thought of trying to snap a photo of them doing this.

But back to the Whoopie Pies/Gobs/Sandwich cakes. This is a very simplified version, using a box cake. But I can't tell the difference. And I've eaten a lot of whoopie pies/gobs/sandwich cakes in my life. (does the word "gobs" gross anyone else out? no, just me? hmm. okay.)


For the cakey cookie part of the WHOOPIE PIES:
1 box Red Velvet cake mix (come to think of it, any cake will do, so if you want devil's food because you're a chocolate devil, go for it, i won't tell)
1/2 cup butter, softened at room temperature
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix ingredients until combined.
Drop spoonfuls of batter onto a cookie sheet, two inches apart.
Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Let them cool.


For the Filling of the WHOOPIE PIES:
1/2 Cup butter, softened to room temperature
1 8 oz. Package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1 (1lb.) Box of confectioner's sugar
1 tsp Vanilla

In a mixer, cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla.
Gradually add sugar and mix until smooth.

To assemble, spoon a small amount of frosting on the flat side of one cookie.
Take another cookie and press together until frosting is flush with the edge.
And then eat it.


My review: God Bless the person who invented these. For real. Yum! And I seriously can't tell the difference between the cakes being made from scratch or a box. Enjoy! And scream, whoopie! when you're done, because that's why they're called whoopie pies.