Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Red Beet Eggs


In true PA dutch form, I must include a recipe for red beet eggs. I love red beet eggs, but it's a taste I've only just recently began to appreciate. For years, I was convinced they were gross. Now, I love them. and I'm typing this as I have a bunch cooking away on my stove.

First, you gotta boil some eggs. Which isn't hard, but I never knew the "proper way" to do it until recently. So, I'm going to explain that too. Cuz if I didn't know, there's gotta be someone else who doesn't know, too, right?


10 eggs
1 (15 oz) can sliced beets
1 onion, thinly sliced (you don't need this)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vinegar

Begin by boiling your eggs. It helps to use old eggs. Don't use ones that you just bought at the store, give them at least a week. Place the 10 eggs in a saucepan and cover with at least an inch or two of water. Put on the stove on high until they boil. Boil for one minute, then cover and remove from heat. Let sit with the lid on for 10-15 minutes. Then place them in cold water, and peel when you're up to it.

While they are chilling out, you can start making your beet juice!

Drain the juice from the beets into a small saucepan. Add the sugar and vinegar. Put your beets and onions into whatever container you plan to put the eggs into. Once your eggs are peeled, you can throw those in with the beets and onions.

Put the beet juice on the stove on high until it comes to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Then pour it over your egg, onion, and beet mixture.

Seal your container and refrigerate. Refrigerate them for at least a day, but 3 days is recommended for them to get the full flavor. They last about a week in the refrigerator.


My review: Duh, I love them. They are even better if you do the beets homemade, but I draw the line there. I have never tried, but maybe someday. I've heard it's messy and not totally worth the hassle. Who knows. I just know that these are good, and definitely a hit at potlucks. Enjoy!